Passenger Rights in A Car Accident
WISTV.com in Columbia, SC is reporting that the South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating a deadly car accident crash on Interstate 26 near the Broad River Road exit in Richland County. Initial reports are that a driver of a motor vehicle was traveling eastbound when he/she over corrected and went off the roadway hitting several trees. The passenger died on the scene.
Passengers Can Have Multiple Injury Claims
Sometimes in a South Carolina car accident where there are two or more cars involved in an accident then multiple drivers can share in the fault of the accident. One driver may be 30% at fault and the other 70% at fault. If that is the case then a passenger could have claims against all drivers that had fault in the accident. Passengers are generally innocent bystanders so to speak and blame is not assigned to them for the cause of the accident. This is important because South Carolina has fairly low minimum level of insurance requirements.
What is the Required Amount of Insurance in South Carolina?
South Carolina law requires that drivers maintain a minimum of $25,000 in liability coverage in case of a car wreck. This means that if you are hurt there “should” be at least $25,000 on the at fault driver’s car. When we are talking about paying medical bills this $25,000 can go quickly. If a passenger can file claims against multiple at fault drivers then the passenger may be able to have multiple insurance policies cover the injuries from the South Carolina car accident.
How to I Protect my Rights After a Car Crash?
Many personal injury lawyers offer free consultations to go over a persons rights following a Columbia or Greenville car accident. What do you have to lose by at least speaking with someone to find out if you need a lawyer? Many lawyers, including this firm, will tell you whether or not it is worth your time to hire a lawyer to assist you. Lawyers don’t get paid unless they recover money for you so it is usually in everyone’s best interest to make sure the case is worth bringing. If you or a loved one has been injured at work or in an accident, schedule a free car wreck consultation right now.