A train wreck or train crash occurs every 2 hours in the United States. There are approximately 3,000 train wreck and crashes per year in the United States. Trains are still used to move products and materials throughout South Carolina but when train wrecks happen, the injuries are catastrophic and affect many more people with the results being much more serious than the average South Carolina car accident. Many factors result in the train accident being more serious because of the speed of the train, the weight of the train and the stopping distance for a train.
Train wrecks happen for many reasons but some of the more common are:
- There is a collision with another train
- A derailment occurs
- There is a collision with a car or bus
- There is a train mechanical failure that leads to an accident
- The train tracks are too old or improperly serviced or maintained
- The train conductor falls asleep or fails to properly operate the train